DUCATI MONSTER 900 CARBURETOR SYNCHRONIZATION HOME
The following video connected you to clear many questions which many of us have asked about how to do a home carburetor synchronization. Unfortunately, the video quality is not the best so I'll try our best to describe the process.
It is important to know the exact settings which should preferably be carried out by a specialist workshop. I would like to get used this manual to help people who, like me, you prefer to do this work at home.
Carburetor synchronization is required in the following cases
- 10,000 km and mandatory service event.
- Carburetor cleaning after disassembly.
- Gas Bowden cable replacement.
- Fa-assembly activities, which involves breaking the carburetor.
- The engine's valve clearance must be correctly configured. Incorrect valve clearance settings will not work correctly to the configuration of the carburetor.
- The carburetor is clean inside. It’s better first dismantle the carburetor (all apart), cleaned him and then when is cleaned bolt on the bike and follow the synchronization.
- The carburetor synchronization it is preferably to carried out in a warm engine at idle. It is the strongest suction power at idle, so you get the most accurate measurement values at idle.
- The possible settings to do are 21 T degrees around the garage!
- A long and a short screwdriver.
- Synchronization tool. The tool you do at home as is described:
Required for synchronization tool is a piece of wood, a few nails, a transparent rubber hose or tube long enough and you can build it. The rubber tube is screwed with nails on the piece of wood like a U-shaped. At the ends of rubber tube screws the bicycle brake inner cable screw and sealed with Teflon strips. Fill the tube with hydraulic oil. Hydraulic oil is good, because it’s colored, clearly visible and it have the optimal density. Of course, also you might try another oil.
The accurate synchronization can be obtained from the appropriate indicator vacuum gauge watches with which accurate measurements can be made. But we don’t use this, we do it with the rubber tube and the hydraulic oil.
During synchronization, be careful that don’t slip off a rubber tube, because it can immediately sucked oil into the engine. The two parallel tubes must be securely connected to the two bicycle brake inner screw.
The principle is, that the two vacuum suction throat of the balance between the oil tube. More like a cylinder, where the liquid level is higher. The aim is that the liquid column in both cylinders at the same stop.
In the side where the liquid level is lower, that cylinder sucks more. And in the side where the liquid is higher, the cylinder sucks less.
The synchronization steps
- Set in a stable idle. ("2")
- Turn the air screw until it stops. (First remove above the air screws the protective rubber plugs!) If the engine stops, you can raise to the idle speed until the engine speed is sufficient to operating the engine.
- Connect the prepared device, and then start the engine. Watch out! If it’s very different between the cylinders, the oil will move in one of the sides. Your hand must be the stop button!
- Set the two screws ("1") until the two side by side liquid level is reached and the vacumm holds the oil balance. Make sure the speed can vary slightly.
- Remove the device, lock the screws in the intake throat. To set up a stable idle.
The carburetor synchronization is not over yet, because the air screws are wrapped. After the carburetor synchronization we must have to do also a synchronization CO !
The synchronization CO CO meter is required, which is primary serviced. This method is named “The method of the Church”. The best value is always set in the Ducati service. But if you don’t have the synchronization CO CO meter, you can set it in the machine.
It’s important that an appropriate level of CO is only properly configured and synchronized with correct valve clearances!
CO is set as follows
- Start the engine, let him in stable idling running. To set up a stable idling you must adjust the air screw ("C").
- The air screw ("A") reel until it stops, and then roll it out two turns.
- Half a turn unscrew the screws on carburetors. Parallel to each cylinder. All this will proceed as long as the speed increases. If it is too elevated, you can buy back the alapjáratból.
- When no further increase the idle speed, then ride back to a half turn in the air screws.
- The stable idle is set up!
- Be careful, you don’t lose the screws on carburetor air protective rubber plugs!
Like above descriptions I set my bike. I checked the settings in service. The synchronization service is not any difference because the factory-defined value. The simultaneous monitoring of CO on one of the cylinders was no difference in the values given by the factory, the other cylinder is 0.1% different from the measurement of the values given by the factory, which is a negligible difference.